Monday, February 28, 2011

another week, another metaphor

A couple of weeks ago I wrote about oranges, time, and work. I believe that God has given me a gift of using metaphors to explain things well. This isn't to say that it's the only way to help people understand, only that it's a way that I have found easy to use to help people understand. And it's because it's easy for me that I think God has gifted me with it.

Two years ago I worked for the summer at Camp Brookwoods in Alton, New Hampshire. I was a counselor for the Wildcat cabin, which is the second oldest in the camp (other than the LDP campers who are there for the whole summer). Because I was a first timer I got to take the campers on the second hiking trip of the summer. We went to the Kinsman mountains, which was a phenomenal hike. It was tough...but working together to get up to the top was totally worth it. If you are in any way connected with Brookwoods/Deer Run (the girls camp) you received the Weathervane and there was a photo of me and my boys on it. If you aren't connected the photo is of me and the campers on the summer. We are standing, with the Franconia notch behind us, with our arms thrown above our heads.

The feeling going up that mountain was not good. I honestly didn't know if I could make it, because a New Hampshire mile and a Missouri mile are two different things. Give me the plains and I can run across them, mountains are different (turns out). But that feeling on the top with those guys...I'll honestly never forget it.

I read one day in "My Utmost for His Highest" that we shouldn't always be wishing for the mountain-tops. That we should be content with the valley that He has put us in. And I agree with that, for the most part.

But think about your life, or my life. What does it take to get to the top? It takes effort, perseverance, patience even. It takes planning. But when you boil it all down you know what it takes?

One single step out the door.

It's great to say that we are "waiting on God." It's also great to say that we are "waiting for His plan." But who's to say we can't go for a Hike while we wait? Who's to say that we can't get out and see the glory of His world while we wait? Who says we have to sit on a couch and wait? And also, who says that we have to do it alone? Lately life has been hard because I feel like I'm stuck in a place and I don't know how to get out. But I think that God has me here for a reason, and while I'm here I'm gonna get to know the people that He has here as well.

And I may even go on a hike with 'em.

Thanks for reading, back to a planned blog next week
Luke
Luketlancaster@gmail.com

No comments:

Post a Comment